Necessity of establishment of this UNESCO chair:
- More than 75% of Iran is in dry and semi-dry region and occurrence of consecutive droughts in recent years;
- Intense decrease in renewable national resources and water supply crisis in many parts of the country;
- Underground water resources decline to the least possible level as a result of irregular use;
- Demand for water and the possibility of national and international conflicts over water as a result of population growth, expansion of cities and industrial and agricultural development;
- Irregular and uncontrolled discharge of effluents to surface and underground waters and subsequent hygienic and environmental hazards;
- The need to develop, localize and expand water and wastewater reuse technologies that are applicable in Iran;
- The necessity to converge and integrate researches and national potentials available in Iran to reuse effluents and solve relevant crisis.